Around The Garden In February
Check that your winter insulation is still in place, especially around pots and any tender plants.
If any plants have been lifted or loosened, firm them back down.
Improve your soil in preparation for the new growing season by spreading well-rotted manure or compost over beds and fork in.
Clean and service tools and mowers ready for spring.
Get rid of those perennial weeds! Dig them up (roots and all) before the weather warms up.
Install a nest box with a camera. You can watch birds raising their broods in the spring!
- Remove any faded flowers from container grown winter pansies and violas. Deadheading like this encourages more flowers to grow in the spring!
- Finish pruning fruit trees and soft fruits, including apples, autumn raspberries and blackcurrants.
- Chit first-early potato tubers now. Stand them in trays (egg trays work well) in a frost-free place with lots of light.
- Install a nest box with a camera. You can watch birds raising their broods in the spring!
- If your pond has frozen, make a hole in the ice. Toxic gases can build up in the water which can kill wildlife hibernating at the bottom.