Around The Garden In January
Avoid walking on your lawn if there is heavy frost or snow, as this will damage the grass beneath.
Dig over any vacant plots that have not been dug already.
Wash empty pots by scrubbing them with hot water and a mild detergent. Rinse well.
Check your winter plant protection. Check stakes, supports and ties that may have been damaged by bad weather.
Shred your Christmas tree and add it to compost bins, or use it for mulch in the garden!
- Tidy up your perennials! Cut down the old stems, but be careful of any new growth.
- Try forcing rhubarb plants by placing an upturned bucket or bin over the crown. This forces tender pink stems to grow.
- Potatoes can be grown in containers under cover for a very early crop. Potato patio planters are ideal for growing early potatoes in small spaces!
- Shred your Christmas tree and add it to compost bins, or use it for mulch in the garden!
- Be sure to feed the birds with a variety of foods (mixed seeds, sunflower hearts, nyjer seed, and peanuts). This also provides food for small mammals.