Around The Garden In May
Feed your lawn with a high-nitrogen fertiliser to encourage healthy, green growth.
Continue sowing lawn seed and repairing bare patches in the early part of the month.
Prevent weed seedlings becoming established by hoeing borders once a week.
Control the heat in your greenhouse with blinds or shade paint.
Clip evergreen hedges now. Be sure to check hedges for nesting birds before clipping.
Lower mower blades to their regular summer-cut height.
- Start planting out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when it gets warmer.
- Remember to open your greenhouse vents and doors on warm days! You can also damp down your greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity.
- Optimise your watering regime. Watering early and late in the day will get you the most out of your water.
- Watch out for late frosts! Protect tender plants.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.