Around Your Garden And Lawn
Spike lawns with a garden fork to improve drainage and aeration.
Wash and clean bird feeders and bird tables. Clean out bird baths too.
Keep clearing leaves off the lawn to let the light in and prevent dead patches appearing.
Get rid of slimy patches on the patio and paving by scrubbing with a broom or blasting with a pressure washer.
Repair fences and apply a wood preservative to prevent them from rotting.
Choose a dry day to clear out the garden shed in preparation for the sping.
Plant bareroot native hedges to encourage wildlife and create attractive boundaries around your garden.
Prevent ponds from freezing.
Hang fat balls and keep bird feeders topped up to attracts birds.
Wash down all of your garden tools and give them a wipe of linseed oil on the wooden and metal areas to help prevent rusting.
- Check your winter protection structures are securely in place.
- Prune acers, birches and vines before Christmas to avoid bleeding.
- Harvest leeks, parsnips, winter cabbage, sprouts and remaining crops.
- Reduce watering of houseplants.
- Insulate outdoor taps and prevent ponds from freezing.