Plant bedding plants such as wallflowers, bellis, primulas and winter pansies for fantastic colourful autumn displays.
If summer containers are looking past their best, re-plant them with fresh winter bedding plants.
Now that colder weather is approaching, protect half-hardy plants with fleece or bring into a frost-free greenhouse.
Plant daffodil bulbs, tulip bulbs and allium bulbs for a glorious spring display.
Plant out ornamental trees and shrubs.
This month is an ideal time to move trees and shrubs, and plant hedges.
Prune climbing roses and rambling roses once they have finished flowering and tie in the stems before autumn winds cause damage.
- Clear up fallen autumn leaves on a regular basis.
- Cut back perennials that have died down.
- Harvest fruit trees - apples and pears.
- Move tender plants into the greenhouse for winter.
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass areas by laying turf.