Create compost bins from collecting fallen leaves and dead plant material.
Re-use spent compost from annual container displays as a mulch on the garden.
Net ponds to prevent leaves falling into them.
Cut back perennials that have died back.
Build cold frames to protect young plants from extreme winter weather.
Clean out water butts and let the autumn rains refill them.
If you need to clear pond weed lay it next to the pond for a day to allow wildlife to escape back to the water.
This Month's Key Tips
- Clear up fallen autumn leaves on a regular basis.
- Cut back perennials that have died down.
- Harvest fruit trees - apples and pears.
- Move tender plants into greenhouse for the winter.
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass areas by laying turf.