Fruit and Vegetable Garden
Lift parsnips after the first frost when their flavour will have sweetened.
Now is the ideal time to plant currant bushes whilst they are dormant.
Prune pear and apple trees anytime between now and February. But don’t be tempted to prune your plum trees now as they will be susceptible to the silver leaf fungus, wait until midsummer.
Now is a great time to prepare a perennial vegetable bed which can be planted up with rhubarb and asparagus crowns.
Plant raspberry canes now for delicious home grown crop.
Prepare a bed for planting autumn garlic. Improve heavy soils with organic matter before planting.
Invest in mushroom kits. It’s surprisingly easy to grow your own mushrooms.
Build a raised bed to take the bending out of a vegetable garden.
- Plant tulip bulbs for a spring display next year.
- Clear up fallen leaves - especially from leaves, ponds and plant beds.
- Plant out winter bedding.
- Keep our feathered friends nourished with bird food.
- Make sure outdoor pots and containers are protected from frost and raised onto pot feet to prevent water logging.