Growing Your Own Vegetables
Now’s the time to pick courgettes while they are young. Regular picking encourages more fruit.
Train cucumber stems upwards instead of trailing over the ground, simply tie in their stems.
If your growing aubergines pinch out the growing tip once they have 5 or 6 fruits.
Pinch out tomato side shoots each week, cut off any leaves growing below the lowest ripen fruit trusses to improve air circulation and prevent diseases.
Plant second cropping potatoes now in pots or bags which can be brought under cover before the first frosts.
Boost your tomato crop by regularly feeding them with tomato fertiliser once a week.
This Month's Key Tips
- Water plants if dry daily, but be water-wise.
- Deadhead bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Clear algae, blanket weed and debris from ponds.
- Give the lawn a quick-acting summer feed.
- Plant second cropping potatoes now to give you new potatoes for Christmas.