Growing Your Own Vegetables
Now is the time to pick courgettes while they are young. Regular picking encourages more fruit.
Train cucumber stems upwards instead of trailing over the ground, simple time in their long stems.
If your growing aubergines pinch out the growing tip once they have 5 or 6 fruits.
Pinch out side shoots each week, tomato side shoots each week, cut off any leaves growing below the lowest ripen fruit trusses to improve air circulation and prevent diseases.
Plant second cropping potatoes now in pots or bags which can be brought under cover before the first frosts.
Boost your tomato crop by regularly feeding them with tomato fertiliser once a week.
- Water plants of dry daily, but be water-wise.
- Deadhead bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Clear algae, blanket weeds and debris from ponds.
- Give the lawn a quick-acting summer feed.
- Plant second cropping potatoes now to give you new potatoes for Christmas.