In The Flower Garden In February
Prune wisteria now, cutting back summer side-shoots to 2 or 3 buds.
Prune winter-flowering shrubs that have finished flowering.
Cut back shrubs, such as cornus and salix cultivars down to their bases.
Prune hardy evergreen hedges and renovate overgrown deciduous hedges.
Lift and divide bulbs such as snowdrops, and plant those that need planting ‘in the green’.
Look out for hellebore leaf spot and remove any leaves that are affected.
Remove faded flowers from winter pansies to stop them setting seed. This encourages a bloom of lovely new flowers when the weather warms up.
This Month's Key Tips
- Start to 'chit' seed potatoes in a cool, light and frost free place.
- Plant out primroses, forget-me-nots and wallflowers for early colour.
- Keep bird feeders topped up.
- Prepare vegetable seed beds and sow some vegetables under cover.
- Prune winter-flowering shrubs if they have finished flowering.