In The Flower Garden In January
Bare root roses can be planted now in sunny spots for fantastic summer colour.
Rose bushes should be pruned now, whilst they are still dormant. Cut back to just above the bud, and remove and crossing or dead branches.
Remove old leaves from your hellebores – this makes the new blooms more visible when they emerge in the spring.
Remove any faded flowers from your winter pansies to prevent them setting seed.
Tidy up your perennials! Cut down the old stems, but be careful of any new growth.
- Tidy up your perennials! Cut down the old stems, but be careful of any new growth.
- Try forcing rhubarb plants by placing an upturned bucket or bin over the crown. This forces tender pink stems to grow.
- Potatoes can be grown in containers under cover for a very early crop. Potato patio planters are ideal for growing early potatoes in small spaces!
- Shred your Christmas tree and add it to compost bins, or use it for mulch in the garden!
- Be sure to feed the birds with a variety of foods (mixed seeds, sunflower hearts, nyjer seed, and peanuts). This also provides food for small mammals.