In The Flower Garden This May
Plant summer hanging baskets, adding good quality compost and slow-release fertiliser to keep them looking their very best.
Tie in rambling and climbing roses. Laying stems horizontally will help produce more flowers.
Trim back spreading plants after they’ve flowered. This encourages fresh new growth and more blooms in the future.
Feed and water container plants.
Tie in sweet peas with support rings to encourage them to climb.
Continue diving herbaceous border perennials to improve vigour and create new plants.
Top-dress permanent pot plants to refresh the compost.
Closely inspect plants for pests and diseases, early prevention is much easier than curing and infestation.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the water gets warmer.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.