In The Fruit Garden In August
Keep birds and squirrels off your berries with netting or old net curtains.
If you have plants fruiting in containers, make sure you give them a high potash liquid feed to keep them healthy and productive.
Protect your crops with a bird scarer made from CDs tied to strings!
Remember to feed your citrus fruit trees throughout summer with a citrus fertiliser.
Prune the fruited stems of your blackcurrant bushes after harvesting.
Cut back the fruited canes of your summer raspberries, leave the new green canes for next year.
- Give hedges a final trim before they stop growing.
- Cut back any herbs to encourage a new flush of tasty leaves that you can harvest before the frost. You can dry or freeze excess herbs for later!
- Watch out for adult frogs and toads leaving the pond. Keep the pond topped up with water from your water butts!
- Trim and feed hanging baskets to keep them looking lovely. They will need some TLC after working so hard setting flowers all summer!
- Cut back the fruited canes of your summer raspberries, leave the new green canes for next year.