In The Fruit Garden In May
Protect your strawberries with straw – this will control weeds and lift the berries off the ground. Netting can also be used to protect strawberries from birds.
Harvest rhubarb now, only pick one third of the total amount of stems.
Keep young fruit trees well watered while they are putting on rapid growth.
Remove blossom and fruit from new planted fruit trees to help them establish properly during their first year.
Keep well watered in dry spells to ensure good setting and fruit development.
Put some netting around soft plants to prevent birds from eating your crop!
- Start planting out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when it gets warmer.
- Remember to open your greenhouse vents and doors on warm days! You can also damp down your greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity.
- Optimise your watering regime. Watering early and late in the day will get you the most out of your water.
- Watch out for late frosts! Protect tender plants.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.