In The Fruit Garden In November
Do not prune plum trees now, wait until midsummer. Pruning in autumn will leave the trees susceptible to silver leaf fungus.
Plant currant bushes while they are dormant.
Apple and pear trees can be pruned any time from now until February.
Cut any dead leaves off your strawberry plants and remove runners.
Check fruits in storage and remove any signs of disease or rotting.
- Protect tender plants from frost, harsh winds and freezing rain. Move plants into a sheltered spot, a greenhouse, or consider wrapping plants and pots (bubble wrap is ideal).
- Do not prune plum trees now, wait until midsummer. Pruning in autumn will leave the trees susceptible to silver leaf fungus.
- Spread fresh manure over vegetable beds and leave to rot down over winter.
- It's time to prepare your garden to help wildlife through the cold months. Plenty of food, water and shelter are most important.
- Set your lawn mower to a higher cutting-height for the winter months.