In The Fruit Garden This May
Protect strawberry plants with straw, this will control weeds and lift the berries off the ground. Netting should also be used to keep birds off the fruit.
Keep your fruit trees well watered while they are putting on rapid growth.
Harvest rhubarb, picking only one-third of the total amount of stems.
Regularly check centres of gooseberry bushes for green gooseberry sawfly caterpillars, they will quickly skeletonize leaves if nit removed.
Remove blossom and fruits from newly planted fruit trees to help them establish properly during their first year.
Put garden netting around soft fruit plants to prevent birds eating your crop.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.