In The Greenhouse And The Home
If you haven’t already done so, clean out the greenhouse thoroughly. Wash glass, the floor an the staging with horticultural disinfectant to kill any overwintering pests and diseases.
Insulate outdoor taps or turn them off at the mains, to prevent freezing. Also pack away hose that are not required.
Prepare greenhouse borders for next spring by working in some manure, leave enough space to add compost later on.
Check that greenhouse heaters are working.
Plant bulbs in large pots of compost ready to fill any gaps in spring borders.
Water plants sparingly in the greenhouse and home to maintain as dry an atmosphere as possible.
Protect your poinsettias from cold draughts and allow them to dry out slightly between waterings to make them last for the while Christmas period and well into January.
Ventilate the greenhouse on warmer days to reduce the risk of disease.
- Check your winter protection structures are securely in place.
- Prune acers, birches and vines before Christmas to avoid bleeding.
- Harvest leeks, parsnips, winter cabbage, sprouts and remaining root crops.
- Reduce watering of houseplants.
- Insulate outdoor taps and prevent ponds from freezing.