In The Home and Greenhouse This February
Ensure greenhouse heaters are working properly.
Keep your Cyclamen in a well-lit, cool place. Water from below.
Water houseplants lightly until they come into active growth.
Grow your own basil on the windowsill. Use it to flavour your favourite Italian dishes.
Ensure sufficient light levels for houseplants.
Grow your own Chrysanthemum plants from seed; start them off now in the greenhouse for the earliest blooms.
Greenhouses can be ventilated on warmer days.
Sow sweet peppers for growing on in a heated greenhouse. Always provide plenty of warmth.
Feed your houseplants with rainwater. Collect rainwater in pots or buckets outside – houseplant love it!
Make sure your plants have drainage. Drainage hole in pots allow for any excess moisture to escape and allows air into the soil.
This Month's Key Tips
- Prepare vegetable seed beds and sow some vegetables under cover.
- Net fruit and vegetable crops to keep birds away.
- Prune winter-flowering shrubs if they have finished flowering.
- Prune wisteria and hardy evergreen hedges.
- Cut back deciduous grasses left uncut over winter.