In The Veg Garden In May
Thin out direct-sown vegetables such as spinach, carrots, and lettuce seedlings. Water the rows well.
Harvest asparagus spears when they are no more than 18cm tall.
Weed around your onions and garlic to reduce competition for nutrients and water.
Make supports for your runner beans. 8ft bamboo canes are ideal!
Keep on top of weeding. Weeds will compete with your plants for precious water, light, and nutrients!
- Start planting out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when it gets warmer.
- Remember to open your greenhouse vents and doors on warm days! You can also damp down your greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity.
- Optimise your watering regime. Watering early and late in the day will get you the most out of your water.
- Watch out for late frosts! Protect tender plants.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.