In The Veg Garden In November
Spread fresh manure over vegetable beds and leave it to rot down over winter.
If bending whilst gardening is a problem, consider building a raised bed.
Check on any stored onions and garlic. Immediately remove any that are rotting.
Also check stored potatoes and remove any that are rotting. Hessian sacks are ideal to store potatoes as they allow the crop to breathe.
Sweet peas can be sown in a cool greenhouse or a cold frame. They will provide an early display next year.
- Protect tender plants from frost, harsh winds and freezing rain. Move plants into a sheltered spot, a greenhouse, or consider wrapping plants and pots (bubble wrap is ideal).
- Do not prune plum trees now, wait until midsummer. Pruning in autumn will leave the trees susceptible to silver leaf fungus.
- Spread fresh manure over vegetable beds and leave to rot down over winter.
- It's time to prepare your garden to help wildlife through the cold months. Plenty of food, water and shelter are most important.
- Set your lawn mower to a higher cutting-height for the winter months.