In The Vegetable Garden In February
Prepare your vegetable seed beds for spring! Weed thoroughly and cover with a thick layer of compost. Some veg can be sown under cover.
Net your vegetable crops to keep the birds off.
Mustard seeds and cress can be sown in a small seed tray and placed on a warm windowsill. They will be ready for pickings in a few weeks!
Build raised beds now. This is best done before the growing season begins. The soil in raised beds will warm up faster, which allows for an earlier start in the garden!
Chit first-early potato tubers now. Stand them in trays (egg trays work well) in a frost-free place with lots of light.
- Remove any faded flowers from container grown winter pansies and violas. Deadheading like this encourages more flowers to grow in the spring!
- Finish pruning fruit trees and soft fruits, including apples, autumn raspberries and blackcurrants.
- Chit first-early potato tubers now. Stand them in trays (egg trays work well) in a frost-free place with lots of light.
- Install a nest box with a camera. You can watch birds raising their broods in the spring!
- If your pond has frozen, make a hole in the ice. Toxic gases can build up in the water which can kill wildlife hibernating at the bottom.