In The Vegetable Garden In January
Now is the perfect time to harvest your parsnips and leeks!
Start chitting potatoes for planting in Spring.
If you are wanting to grow early peas, prepare the ground by placing a cloche over the soil and allow it to warm up for a few weeks before sowing.
If your greenhouse is unheated, protect your potato bags with horticultural fleece on cold nights.
Remove any yellowing leaves from winter brassicas.
Potatoes can be grown in containers under cover for a very early crop. Potato patio planters are ideal for growing early potatoes in small spaces!
- Tidy up your perennials! Cut down the old stems, but be careful of any new growth.
- Try forcing rhubarb plants by placing an upturned bucket or bin over the crown. This forces tender pink stems to grow.
- Potatoes can be grown in containers under cover for a very early crop. Potato patio planters are ideal for growing early potatoes in small spaces!
- Shred your Christmas tree and add it to compost bins, or use it for mulch in the garden!
- Be sure to feed the birds with a variety of foods (mixed seeds, sunflower hearts, nyjer seed, and peanuts). This also provides food for small mammals.