In The Vegetable Garden In January
Now is the perfect time to harvest parsnips and leeks.
Start ‘chitting’ potatoes for planting in spring.
You can start growing potatoes in containers for an early crop but make sure you protect these with fleece on cold nights.
Potato patio planters are ideal for growing early potatoes in small places.
Prepare the ground for early peas. Place a cloche over the soil this month to help warm up the ground for a few weeks before sowing.
Remove yellowing leaves from winter brassicas, they’re of no use to the plant and can harbour pests and diseases.
This Month's Key Tips
- Now is the ideal time to start 'chitting' seed potatoes ready for Spring planting.
- Clean old pots and seed trays ready for sowing and planting.
- Plant seeds such as sweet peas, basil, chillies and iceland poppies now.
- Starting forcing rhubarb.
- Recycle your Christmas tree by shredding it for mulch.