In The Vegetable Garden In March
Clear your vegetable beds of weeds to prepare for planting.
Plant shallots, onion set and early potatoes.
Dig in green manures grown over the winter, do this while stems are still soft.
Prepare the greenhouse for tomato plants to arrive at the end of the month.
Cover prepared soil with sheets of black plastic to keep it drier and warmer in preparation for planting.
Weed and mulch asparagus beds. Asparagus has shallow roots so weed by hand to prevent damage.
Dig compost, well-rotted manure or green waste into your vegetable beds to prepare for the growing season ahead. Dig 5cm (or more) layer when the soil becomes workable. Weed vegetable seed beds before adding the layer.
This Month's Key Tips
- Protect new shoots from slug damage.
- Plant out summer flowering bulbs.
- Start to feed pond fish.
- Refresh the surface soil in planted pots.
- Clean up paths, patio and decking.
- Hoe and mulch weeds to keep them under control early.