In The Vegetable Garden In March
Weed vegetable beds.
Plant shallots, onions sets and early potatoes.
Weed and mulch asparagus beds. Asparagus has shallow roots so weed by hand to prevent damage.
Start preparing the greenhouse for tomato plants to arrive at the end of the month.
Dig compost, well-rotted manure or green waste into your vegetable beds to prepare for the growing season ahead. Dig 5cm layer when the soil becomes workable.
- Remove weeds, thatch and moss from your lawn and improve drainage.
- Plant summer flowering bulbs.
- Protect new spring shoots from slugs.
- Hoe and mulch weeds to keep them under control early.
- Top dress containers with fresh compost.