In The Vegetable Garden In May
Harvest asparagus spears when they are no more than 18cm tall.
Thin out direct-sown vegetables such as spinach, carrot and lettuce seedlings, then water the rows well.
Harden off outdoor tomatoes, courgettes and pumpkins for planting early next month.
Weed around your onions and garlic to reduce competition for nutrients and water.
Make supports for your runner beans using bamboo canes.
Continue earthing up potatoes.
Pinch out the growing points of broad beans as soon as beans start to appear at the base of the plant.
Keep on top of weeding – weeds will compete with your vegetables for precious water, light and nutrients.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.