In The Vegetable Garden This April
Prepare vegetable seed beds by removing all weeds.
Dig a 5cm (or more) layer of compost, well-rotted manure or green waste into beds.
Harvest asparagus spears when they’re no more than 18cm tall.
Build raised beds to take the bending out of growing vegetables.
Cover prepared soil with sheets of black plastic to keep it drier and warmer in preparation for planting.
Support pea and bean plants now. For quick and easy pea supports, push some twiggy sticks around your plants.
Plan and start sowing seeds now either for a allotment or to grow in pots.
Thin carrot seedlings to achieve good-sized carrots, do this in he evening when fewer carrot flies are around.
This Month's Key Tips
- Keeps weeds under control.
- Start to mow the lawn more regularly.
- Tie in climbing plants for extra support.
- Sow hardy annual seeds directly into the ground.
- Plant out new strawberry beds.
- Now's the time to grow your own vegetables.