In The Vegetable Garden This July
Train cucumber stems upwards instead of trailing over the ground, simply tie in their stems.
Pepper plants will benefit from potted on into larger pots.
Now is the ideal time to pick courgettes while they are young. Regular picking encourages more fruits.
Pinch out tomato side shoots each week. Cut off any leaves growing below the lowest ripen fruit to improve air circulation and prevent diseases.
If growing aubergines pinch out the growing tip once they have 5 or 6 fruits.
Harvest garlic when the tops start to bend over and yellow.
Plant second cropping potatoes now in pots or bags which can be brought under cover before the first frost.
Harvest beetroot, peas, carrots, chard, potatoes, salad leaves, lettuce and tomatoes this month.
Boost your tomato crop by regularly feeding them with tomato fertiliser once a week.
This Month's Key Tips
- Water plants if dry daily, but be water-wise.
- Deadhead bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Clear algae, blanket weed and debris from ponds.
- Give the lawn a quick-acting summer feed.
- Plant second cropping potatoes now to give you new potatoes for Christmas.