Jobs Around The Garden In February
Keep off the grass when there’s frost, as the blades are more susceptible to damage.
Keep feeding the bird, the weather is still cold this month so hang fat balls and keep bird feeders topped up.
Cover prepared soil with plastic sheets to keep soil warmer and more dry.
Wash your empty pots with warm water and mild soap and rinse well afterwards.
Shred or chop any woody pruning’s before you add them to compost bins, as this will help speed up decomposition.
Install water butts now ready for the summer. Rainwater is particularly useful for watering acid-loving, ericaceous plants.
With spring on the way it’s worth preparing your lawn for the season ahead. Try installing lawn edging, which gives a neat and tidy appearance and makes maintenance easier.
This Month's Key Tips
- Start to 'chit' seed potatoes in a cool, light and frost free place.
- Plant out primroses, forget-me-nots and wallflowers for early colour.
- Keep bird feeders topped up.
- Prepare vegetable seed beds and sow some vegetables under cover.
- Prune winter-flowering shrubs if they have finished flowering.