Jobs Around The Garden In February
Prepare seed beds by removing all weeds and forking in plenty of new compost.
Cover prepared soil with plastic sheets to keep soil warmer and more dry.
Prune winter-flowering jasmine, heathers and shrubs.
Wash your empty pots with warm water and mild soap. Rinse well afterwards.
Cut back shrubs.
Keep feeding the birds. The weather is still cold this month so hang fat balls and keep bird feeders topped up.
Keep off the grass when there’s frost, as the blades are more susceptible to damage.
With spring on the way, it’s worth preparing your lawn for the season ahead. Try installing lawn edging, which gives a neat and tidy appearance and makes maintenance easier.
- Prepare vegetable seed beds.
- Net fruit and vegetable crops to keep birds away.
- Prune winter-flowering shrubs if they have finished flowering.
- Prune Wisteria and hardy evergreen hedges.
- Cut back deciduous grasses left uncut over winter.