Looking After Your Lawn And Greenhouse This October
Clear up fallen leaves regularly to allow light to the grass.
A last mowing can be made this month before leaving your lawn for the winter.
Move tender plants to the greenhouse to protect them from early frosts. Make sure that there’s enough space between to keep them well ventilated and reduce the risk of disease.
Check any plants which you’re bringing inside for pests like aphids.
Aerate your lawn with a garden fork to avoid waterlogging and compaction over winter.
Rake any thatch from the surface and repair dead patches. There’s still time to lay fresh turf if required.
Set up your greenhouse heater in case of early frosts.
Recut and lawn edges if needed. Install lawn edging to make future maintenance easier.
If you haven’t done so already, remove any greenhouse shading to allow as much light in as possible.
This Month's Key Tips
- Cut back perennials that have died down.
- Harvest fruit trees such as apples, pears and grapes.
- Move tender plants, including aquatic ones into a greenhouse.
- Clear up fallen leaves on a regular basis.
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass areas by laying turf.