Looking After Your Lawn In May
Water the grass during hot weather, this is particularly important for newly seeded or turfed lawns. Never allow new lawns to dry out.
Apply lawn weedkiller to your lawn this month.
Feed your lawn with a high-nitrogen fertiliser to encourage healthy green growth.
Continue sowing lawn seed and repairing bare patches in the early part of the month.
Lower mower blades to their regular summer-cut height.
Mow lawns weekly, but consider leaving some areas uncut for wildlife.
Install lawn edging to keep edges tidy and smarten up beds and borders.
Postpone mowing newly sown grass until it reaches 3 inches in height and make sure the mower blades are on a high setting.
This Month's Key Tips
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.