Looking After Your Lawn In May
Feed your lawn with high-nitrogen fertiliser to encourage healthy green growth.
Apply lawn weedkiller to your lawn this month.
Water the grass during hot weather, this is particularly important for newly seeded or turfed lawns. Never allow new lawns to dry out.
Continue sowing lawn seed and repairing bare patches in the early part of the month.
Mow lawns weekly.
Lower mower blades to their regular summer-cut height.
Install lawn edging to keep edges tidy and smarten up beds and borders.
Postpone mowing newly sown grass until it reaches 3 inches in height and make sure the mower blades are on a high setting.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.