Looking After Your Lawn
Don’t worry if your lawn is looking brown, it is extremely common in this hot weather. The autumn rains will soon make it green again, so avoid watering the grass unless it is absolutely necessary.
Lawn weedkillers should be avoided in late summer as they will be more effective when used in the cooler, damper autumn weather.
Lawn growth slows down in late summer so raise the cutting height of your lawn mower to help the grass cope.
If you’re planning on laying new lawn this autumn, prepare the area now to give it time to settle. This also allows weeds to germinate so you can clear the area thoroughly before planting.
If your lawn is infested by ants, brush out the nests on a dry day. Always brush them away before mowing.
This Month's Key Tips
- Deadhead flowering plants regularly.
- Keep ponds and water features topped up.
- Watering - particularly containers and new plants, preferably with recycled water or stored rainwater.
- Harvest vegetables regularly as they become ready to promote new growth.
- Don't delay summer pruning fruits trained as restricted forms.