Other Jobs About The Garden
Build a cold frame to protect young plants from extreme winter weather.
Net ponds to prevent leaves falling into them. If you need to clear pond weed lay it next to the pond for a day to allow wildlife to escape back to the water.
Invest in bird baths and bird feeders. Birds are gardeners friends and will keep pest numbers down.
Once plants are dormant, it is a good time to lift and relocate any plant that you want to move.
Clean out water butts and let autumn rains refill them.
Use the last of the dry weather to paint sheds and forces before winter arrives.
Reuse spent compost from annual container displays as a mulch on the garden.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant tulip bulbs for a spring display next year.
- Clear up fallen leaves - especially from lawns ponds and plant beds.
- Plant out winter bedding plants.
- Keep feathered friends nourished with bird food.
- Make sure outdoor pots and containers are protected from frost.