Other Jobs About The Garden
Try watering the soil around the base of plants rather than the foliage. Make pools round the individual plants so that the water is directed straight to the roots where it is needed.
Don’t forget to water containers and baskets thoroughly in hot weather. Continue to feed them with a balanced liquid fertiliser every 2-4 weeks.
Keep bird baths topped up in hot weather.
Remove floating blanket weed from ponds by twirling it around a stick or garden cane. Before composting it, pile the weed close to the pond for a few hours so any creatures caught up can crawl back into the water.
This is the ideal time to use water butts instead of tap water as often as you can when keeping plants hydrated.
This Month's Key Tips
- Water plants if dry daily, but be water-wise.
- Deadhead bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Clear algae, blanket weed and debris from ponds.
- Give the lawn a quick-acting summer feed.
- Plant second cropping potatoes now to give you new potatoes for Christmas.