Other Jobs Around The Garden And Greenhouse This July
Water containers and baskets thoroughly in hot weather. Continue to feed them with a balanced liquid fertiliser every 2 to 4 weeks.
Water the soil around the base of plants rather than the foliage. Make ‘pools’ around individual plants so that the water is directed straight to the roots where it’s needed.
Remove floating blanket weed from your pond plants by twirling it around a stick or garden cane, before composting it, pile the weed close to the pond for a few hours so any creatures can crawl back into the water.
Keep bird baths topped up in hot weather.
Turn the contents of your compost bin every month to keep it well aerated.
Damp down your greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity and deter red spider mites.
Open vents and doors daily on greenhouses to provide adequate ventilation.
This is the ideal time to use water butts instead of tap water as often as you can when keeping plants hydrated.
This Month's Key Tips
- Water plants if dry daily, but be water-wise.
- Deadhead bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Clear algae, blanket weed and debris from ponds.
- Give the lawn a quick-acting summer feed.
- Plant second cropping potatoes now to give you new potatoes for Christmas.