Other Jobs Around The Garden In May
Feed pond fish little and often.
Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.
Control the heat in your greenhouse with blinds or shade paint.
Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
Clip evergreen hedges now.
Regularly hoe off weeds.
Watch out for viburnum beetle and lily beetle grubs.
Hang fly traps throughout the greenhouse to monitor levels of whitefly, thrips and other pests.
Remove duckweed and blanket weed from ponds, and thin out submerged oxygenating pond plants. Leave any removed weed beside your pond overnight to allow insects, snails and other pond life to escape back into the water.
This Month's Key Tips
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.