Other Jobs Around The Garden This May
Feed pond fish little and often.
Remove duckweed and blanket weed from ponds, and thin out both pondside perennials and submerged oxygenating pond plants. Leave any removed weed beside your pond overnight to allow insects, snails and other pondlife to escape back into the water.
Clip evergreen hedges or low growing hedging now.
Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.
Control the heat in your greenhouse with blinds or shade paint.
Optimise your watering regime, watering early and late to get the most out of the water. Also start collecting and recycling water whenever possible.
Regularly hoes off weeds.
Remember to open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days. You can also damp down your greenhouse on hot days to increase humidity and deter red spider mites.
Hang fly traps throughout the greenhouse to monitor levels of whitefly, thrips and other pests.
This Month's Key Tips
- Mow lawns weekly.
- Plant out summer bedding towards the end of the month, when the weather gets warmer.
- Open greenhouse vents and doors on warm days.
- Watch out for late frosts. Tender plants will need protecting.
- Water early and late to get the most out of your water, recycle water when possible.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping hedges.