Other Jobs Around The Garden This October
Create compost bins for collecting fallen leaves and dead plant material.
Net ponds to prevent leaves fallen into them. If you need to clear pond weed, lay it next to the pond for a day to allow wildlife to escape back to the water.
Reuse spend compost from annual container displays as a mulch on the garden.
Build a cold frame to protect young plants from extreme winter weather.
Invest in bird baths and bird feeders this autumn. Birds are a gardener’s friend and keep pests down.
Raise pots off the ground for the winter with bricks or ‘pot feet’ to prevent waterlogging.
Clean out water butts and let the autumn rains refill them. Install a new water butt ready for next year.
Use the last of the dry weather to paint sheds and fences with preservatives before the winter arrives.
Collect leaves up for making leaf mould as a soil conditioner.
This Month's Key Tips
- Cut back perennials that have died down.
- Harvest fruit trees such as apples, pears and grapes.
- Move tender plants, including aquatics ones into a greenhouse.
- Clear up fallen leaves on a regular basis.
- Renovate old lawns or create new grass areas by laying turf.