Winter Vegetable Garden
Lift the last of your leeks and parsnips before the soil becomes frozen.
If you haven’t already, cut down dead asparagus foliage. Order your asparagus crowns now for planting in spring.
Lift and divide established clumps of rhubarb to renew the plants vigour. Sections taken from the outside of the plant are better than those from the centre.
Harvest winter cabbage, sprouts and remaining root crops.
Dig over empty borders and pile manure on top, let the worms and frosts break up the clods of soil.
If you’re looking for something to grow at this time of year try mushroom growing kits for a more unusual addition to the garden.
Keep fleece to hand to protect hardy salad crops such as lettuce ‘winter gem’, winter land cress and corn salad on cold nights.
- Check your winter protection structures are securely in place.
- Prune acers, birches and vines before Christmas to avoid bleeding.
- Harvest leeks, parsnips, winter cabbage, sprouts and remaining root crops.
- Reduce watering of houseplants.
- Insulate outdoor taps and prevent ponds from freezing.